Top 5 tips for setting SMART health goals
Mobile Rehab recognises the new year as the perfect time to review your health goals and think about what can be done to improve or maintain your current levels of fitness, strength and your overall health and wellbeing.
When goal setting for the new year, reflect on your physical activity in the past year and think about what you want to achieve in the coming 12 months. Below is a simple method to ensure that you make your 2018 goals SMART, thus more achievable.
Top 5 ways to make SMART goals:
- S – Specific; define that you want to achieve;
- M – Measurable; how will you measure your success?;
- A – Achievable; include some quick wins and a goal you need to reach/stretch for;
- R – Relevant; your goal should reflect your interests; and
- T – Timely; establish a realistic timeframe to achieve your goal.
What do SMART goals look like?
If you’re reading this, it probably means you’re keen to set some health goals for 2018. So let’s get down to it. If your goal is to improve your walking, get back into swimming, or to be able to hold a pen properly, your SMART goals might look like this:
Examples of 2018 SMART health goals:
- To walk to the shops (specific) without being breathless (measurable + achievable) by Easter (timely), so I can spend active time with my friends and family (relevant);
- To be able to swim (specific) by Easter (timely) so I can play with my Grandchildren (relevant) without having to use a floatation device (measurable + achievable); or
- To be able to hold my pen (specific) firmly enough to write a page long letter (measurable) to my family who live overseas (relevant) by Christmas (timely). I want to start sending a postcard each month (achievable) as I build up my hand strength.
So there you go – that is how you expand your overall goal into a SMART goal!
Get started on making your 2018 a healthy one and download your very own SMART goal checklist and template HERE.
When writing your goals, remember to tick off each of the above SMART points and you should be on the right track.
These are YOUR goals, written by YOU, for YOU. Be proud of them and place them on the fridge. Research shows that by writing out your goals and seeing them on a daily basis helps in staying motivated. Win-win!
If you would like an assessment of your current health levels or help developing and monitoring your 2018 health goals, get in touch with us at Mobile Rehab – we are here to help.
Have a healthy 2018!
1300 363 483