Time to set your 2020 health goals
Now is the perfect time to set your 2020 health goals. Mobile Rehab has developed a FREE downloadable template to help you set some clear goals to help you achieve health and wellbeing goals.
Before you set your health goals for the new year, reflect on your physical activity in 2019 and think about what you want to achieve in the coming 12 months. Below is a simple method to ensure that you make your 2020 goals SMART; thus more achievable.
Creating SMART goals:
S – Specific
- define what you want to achieve;
- whether is it to walk / swim / run / or create a vegetable garden, think about exactly WHAT you want to achieve
M – Measurable
- how will you measure your success?
- time? distance? number of steps? number of laps?
- you also need to be able to measure your goals so you can celebrate your improvements!
A – Achievable
- include some quick wins and a goal you need to reach/stretch for
- think in terms of ‘baby steps’ leading up to ‘bigger’ goals
- remember, you need to crawl before you walk, and walk before you run!
R – Relevant
- your goal should reflect your interests
- you are more likely to achieve your goal if you like what you’re doing
- think about doing something for the enjoyment of it, rather than for the outcome
T – Timely
- establish a realistic timeframe to achieve your goal
- don’t rush your results, so plan ahead for the year
- remember these are goals for 2020, not just the next few months
What do SMART goals look like?
If you’ve read this far, it probably means you’re keen to set some health goals for 2020. So let’s get down to it. Below are some examples of a usual goal, and what it could look like if it was a SMART goal:
- Goal: improve my walking
- SMART Goal: To walk to the shops (specific) without being breathless (measurable + achievable) by Easter (timely), so I can spend active time with my friends and family (relevant)
- Goal: get back into swimming
- SMART Goal: To be able to swim (specific) by Easter (timely) so I can play with my Grandchildren (relevant) without having to use a floatation device (measurable + achievable)
- Goal: hold a pen properly
- SMART goal: To be able to hold my pen (specific) firmly enough to write a page long letter (measurable) to my family who live overseas (relevant) by Christmas (timely). I want to start sending a postcard each month (achievable) as I build up my hand strength.
Download the FREE SMART GOAL SETTING TEMPLATE to help get you started and set your 2020 health goals into SMART, achievable goals. Print out the template, fill it out and place it on your fridge (or somewhere highly visible) to remind your self daily of the promise that you have made to yourself. You can also share it with your family and friends for extra support.