Now that we are out of the busy new year period, let’s talk about what YOU want to achieve this year; specifically your health goals.
How many times have you set some goals and lost motivation along the way? We’ve probably all been guilty of this at some point!
“Confidence is gained when competence is gained”Anon
If you know what you are doing, and how you want to do it – you should feel more confident in reaching your goals. The key to achieving your health goals is to do something YOU want to do, keeping it simple, celebrate the small wins and exercise in your own way!
Mobile Rehab recommends a simple and easy way to structure your health goals to help you stay motivated. By using a SMART goal template, you should find your goals are simple to follow, which means your goals are more attainable.
A SMART goal is Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant and Timely.
How to write SMART health goals:
Specific – Define something YOU want to achieve, for example:
- Lift your grandchild up to put the star on the Christmas tree this year (watch this inspiration video!)
- Walk your daughter down the aisle at her wedding
- Create your own vegetable garden
- Walk to the shops and back unaided and not out of breath
- Play a round of golf without using the cart
Measurable – How will you measure your success?
- Time? Distance? Number of steps? Number of laps? Vegetables grown?Golf swings?
- You also need to be able to measure your goals so you can celebrate your improvements!
Achievable – Start small and slowly progress to more difficult goals
- Include some quick wins (something you know you can do)
- Choose something that is within arms reach – for example being able to move your coffee cup from your lap to the coffee table.
Relevant – The activity to reach your goal should reflect your interests
- If you wanted to increase fitness and you don’t like running, don’t do it! This goal should reflect something you desire to accomplish and not what your friends / family want you to achieve (if you are not interested in the goal, there is a high chance you won’t achieve it)
- Take some time to think about what you really enjoy doing
Timely – Set yourself a deadline!
- Establish a realistic timeframe to achieve your goal – will it take weeks or months?
- Don’t rush your results, so plan ahead for the year
Be proud of your health goals!
Tell your family and friends about your goal. Once you have decided what you want to achieve, and how you want to do it, complete the SMART Goal template and place it on the fridge. Put your goal sheet in a place where you will see it several times a day.
Remember, the key to achieving your health goals is to do something YOU want to do, keeping it simple, celebrate the small wins and exercise in your own way! Download your FREE copy of this SMART Goal template here.
If you ever get stuck along your journey you can always reach out to Mobile Rehab!
Ph: 1300 363 483