Healthy feet; while the saying ‘putting your feet up’ is synonymous with resting, and looking after yourself; how often do you think about the health of your feet?
We’ve asked our team of mobile podiatrists to offer their top 3 tips to healthy feet, and here’s what they had to say:
1. Healthy feet are measured frequently
The bones in your feet change with age, so it is really important to have your feet measured properly. While you may not necessarily change shoe size, changes to your bone structure means that you may need shoe modifications; like inserts under your arch, toe or heel.
2. Clip your nails correctly
Most of us have experienced the pain of an ingrown toenail. Couple that with fragile, thin skin and there are bigger issues at play. This means you need to be extra careful if you use a nail cutter. If you do give your toenails regular attention, using an emery board is safer option.
3. Healthy weight can lead to healthy feet
Weight gain actually increases the risk of pain and chronic problems with your feet. This can cause swelling, ankle pain, stress fractures, bunions and ball-of-foot pain. Keep as active as you can, and don’t forget to do some foot and ankle exercises to help you stay on your feet!
There are many other things you can do to look after your feet, but you many not be able to do it all by yourself. This is when a mobile podiatrist will be able to help you. Before you think you don’t want to bother having someone visit you in your own home to cut your toenails, there are many other things a podiatrist can help you with.
What can a podiatrist help with?
- Provide stretching exercises specific to you and your feet
- Regular foot measurement to gauge any changes over time
- Footwear assessment
- Toenail cutting + cleaning
- Treatment of ulcers
Do you have healthy feet? Do you need a podiatrist?
If you answer YES to one or more of the following, your feet may not be as healthy as you think. This means you may benefit from seeing a podiatrist:
- Do your feet hurt in certain places when you walk?
- Have you altered how you walk to accommodate foot pain?
- Do have have sore feet? Ankles? Knees? Hips?
- Find that your shoes are not fitting properly?
- Can you still clip your toenails on your own?
- Are your toenails thickening and discoloured?
Get in touch if you would like a healthy feet check by a mobile podiatrist from Mobile Rehab.
Ph: 1300 363 483